sábado, 1 de julio de 2017

Levels of Perception

For my last post I want to tie my experience together with the theme of PERCEPTION. For me, this was a very important topic to discuss and be aware of because I never had the desire to travel to Mexico. Despite being mexican, it never appealed to me. Never have I ever been a beach person and I dread hot weather! Choosing to embark on this experience was a big decision for me.

Before departing I naturally had several uneducated remarks made about my travels and many were genuinely concerned for my life which I did not understand because my university would not send me somewhere they did not find safe. Despite all comments. made, I was still excited to head somewhere new.

Responsible tourism was the perfect introduction to the internship and the experience as a whole. When I travel with family I tend to be a typical tourist because we are in new surroundings so we only do what we are told to do. Being in Mexico with a responsible tourism mindset gave me a sort of freedom to wander and explore without feeling the pressures of doing what everyone suggests to do otherwise. Luckily I was able to apply this newfound mindset a month later as I explored Hawaii as a responsible tourist. Meeting with the locals was essential. I had one friend on the island who helped me explore areas beyond the resorts and popular beaches.

For the future I now know how much more a place has to offer when I visit. I will not be as afraid to explore what would be considered the unknown to tourists. I also never travel alone so I will be able to share these experiences with others in hopes to expand their perspective as well.


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

Levels of Perception

For my last post I want to tie my experience together with the theme of PERCEPTION . For me, this was a very important topic to discuss and ...